Second Poppi inquest brings new hope of justice
By Gordon Rayner
A CORONER has ordered a new inquest into the death of Poppi Worthington, bringing hope that she will finally receive justice. A judge ruled last month that the 13-month-old girl was sexually assaulted by her father Paul Worthington before her sudden death in December 2012. Mr Worthington, 48, denies any the original inquest had been unlawful, the High Court ruled last July that a fresh inquest should be held. Confirming that he would abide by the High Court’s decision, David Roberts, senior coroner for Cumbria, said there was “substantial public interest” in the case and a second inquest will be opened on March 18 in Cockermouth. Mr Roberts said: “The coroner’s decision is that the investigation should be resumed and that the case should proceed to inquest as there are sufficient reasons to do so.” He said the cause of Poppi’s death could be cleared up by the fresh inquest after the coroner examines the medical evidence, because so far there had been “no adequate coronial enquiry to establish the facts in the case”. John Woodcock, MP for Barrow and Furness, said: “This is an important step in salvaging justice for Poppi Worthington. It is good that the senior coroner decided to conduct a second inquest and recognised the very real public interest in this case.” The Crown Prosecution Service is already reviewing its original decision not to charge Mr Worthington with any offence and Cumbria Police could come under fresh pressure to mount a fresh investigation depending on the inquest’s outcome.